Sundays are a good day to get some prep work done for the week’s meals. Especially now it’s getting warmer out, a lot of times dinner is lighter and more vegetable-based.
When it comes to seasonings, I like to mix it up and this week was a cumin and Herbs de Provence blend. Nothing too complex since these veggies ~ and red potatoes ~ will find themselves tossed into a big green salad tonight with lots of pickled and marinated items like mushrooms, beets and calamata olives.
Red or new potatoes are a different breed than their larger kin, so it might be a good idea to par boil them before roasting. I went straight to the oven so will give the directions on how I made sure they were fork tender.
I roasted the asparagus separately, just in some olive oil, lemon juice and s&p ~ I included the photo because they looked pretty in the ceramic pan and because they’ll be a nice addition to whatever the other veggies will be served with.
- 1-1/2 pounds new potatoes, quartered
- 2 bunches broccoli, chopped down to small florets
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 head garlic, cloves cut in half
- about 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Herbs de Provence
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- about 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- generous pinch black pepper
- steam bath: 1/3 cup hot water + 1 tablespoon honey + 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375F
- In a large bowl, mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, sugar and spices
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir well to coat
- Place in a large rectangle of aluminum foil and wrap snugly into a pouch
- Roast for about an hour
- After an hour open the pouch, toss vegetables and taste a potato; add more salt if needed
- Roast for about 1/2 hour with pouch open to allow vegetables to char a bit
- After the 1/2 hour, turn oven up to 425F and prepare your “steam bath”
- When oven reaches temperature, pour steam bath water over vegetables and reseal pouch
- Roast for another 15 to 20 minutes until potatoes are fork tender
Easy, versatile and I love aluminum foil for the quick cleanup. The asparagus can roast at 425F for about 15 to 20 minutes, just about the amount of time of the potato steam bath.
These would all taste great as a cold mayonnaise-based salad along with grilled fish, or mixed with a soy dressing to go with rice noodles, hot or cold. Lots of options, which is a great time saver.